Today we visited the only mosque in Belgrade, the Bajrakli
Mosque.The mosque fits our GCP theme of revolution.It was
built by the Turks of the Ottoman Empire in 1575.The building was converted into a Catholic
church during Austrian rule (1717-1739).With the return of the Turks in 1741, it was converted back into a mosque.
After restoration by Serbian noblemen in
the 19th century, it survived major damage during WWII, the Soviet
occupation of Yugoslavia, and Serbian independence. Arsonists set fire to the mosque in 2004, but it was repaired.About 3% of the Serbian population are Sunni
We all had to take off our shoes before
entering the mosque and the women had to ensure their hair was covered.
Tomorrow we will be leaving our lovely hostel in Belgrade for Nis.